Energy generation from optical and material science research
Society faces scientific and technological challenges to its sustainable progress and development. Our laboratory focuses on research and development projects that aim not only at addressing these challenges, but also at contributing to fundamental understanding in various fields of science and engineering. In the past few years, we have studied nuclear science, laser fusion research, optical materials, and radiation effects, to name a few. We work not only at the Institute of Laser Engineering (ILE), but also at the Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN), Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute (JAERI), Aichi Synchrotron Radiation Center (ASRC), High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK), and others. Through collaborative networks inside and outside Japan, our research investigations are conducted alongside good-spirited undergraduate and graduate students.
To date, we have produced 19 doctoral (PhD or DEng) graduates, four of whom are now associate professors at different universities, and around 400 original papers with more than 5,800 citations. I personally believe in the knowledge and skills of the younger generation. Enhancing and enriching them through education will make a difference for our society’s sustainable development. I look forward to working with everyone willing to contribute to the betterment of science and technology through research and development.
- Verdad C. Agulto, Melvin John F. Empizo, Keito Shinohara, Jonah Micah L. Inguito, Bee Jay Magallanes, Marvin B. Nalayog, Daisuke Umeno, Kloudene A. Salazar, Mia Angela N. Judicpa, Kohei Yamanoi, Toshihiko Shimizu, Allan Christopher C. Yago, Roland V. Sarmago, Nobuhiko Sarukura, “Low-threshold amplified UV emission of optically pumped ZnO-polymer nanocomposites”, Journal of Crystal Growth, 574, 126332 (2021)
- Yuki Iwasa, Hiraku Ogino,Dongjoon Song, Verdad C. Agulto, Kohei Yamanoi, Toshihiko Shimizu, Jumpei Ueda, Kenta Hongo, Ryo Maezono, Setsuhisa Tanabe, Nobuhiko Sarukura, “Synthesis, optical properties, and band structures of a series of layered mixed-anion compounds”, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 30(18), pp. 16827-16832 (2019)
- Youwei Lai, Jacque Lynn Gabayno, Marilou Cadatal-Raduban, Kohei Yamanoi, Toshihiko Shimizu, Nobuhiko Sarukura, “Direct measurement of refractive index and dispersion of optical glass by dual-prism configuration with imaging spectrograph”,Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 58(9), 096503 (2019)
- Verdad C. Agulto, Melvin John F. Empizo, Keisuke Kawano, Kloudene A. Salazar, Yuki Minami, Kohei Yamanoi, Toshihiko Shimizu, Allan Christopher C. Yago, Roland V. Sarmago, Nobuhiko Sarukura, “Combination of post-growth treatments and their effects on ZnO microrods as potential UV phosphors”, Optical Materials, 86, pp.12-17 (2018)
- Yuki Iwasa, Hiraku Ogino, Dongjoon Song, Kohei Yamanoi, Toshihiko Shimizu, Jumpei Ueda, Setsuhisa Tanabe, Nobuhiko Sarukura,” Luminescence properties of layered mixed-anion compounds Sr2ScCuSeO3 and Sr3Sc2Cu2Se2O5”, Optical Materials, 84, pp.205-208 (2018)