Degree: Ph.D (Engineering)
Laboratory: Sustainable Urban Planning
to Laboratory Homepage
We research urban policies to make cities livable and comfortable. These basic questions, what factors affect the urban livability, how comfort of urban living is determined, are not clarified theoretically. We try to get insight of the mechanism of urban livability and comfort based on the statistics and field research.
Fig.1 Deviation of residential utility in nationwide urban employment areas
Transportation is one of the essential component of urban living where the transportation facilities like road and railway are viable under the collective consumption by many people. This feature requires public engagement and efficient/effective planning. We research preferable transportation planning using the information communication technologies and simulation technologies in the transportation field.
Fig.2 Bangkok Traffic Simulation and Urban Policy Impact Analysis
Climate and human activities interact each other; the climate change affect people’s life and people’s behavior affect the climate through the greenhouse gas emissions. We research the interaction between urban activities and climate change.
Fig.3 Future Urban Population Projections by Scenario for 2100予測
Sustainable development coals are shared goals among most of nations and groups to achieve the sustainable society. We research especially on the “Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable”.
- Masanobu Kii, Rolf Moeckel, Jean-Claude Thill, Land use, transport, and environment interactions:WCTR 2016 contributions and future research directions, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, Volume 77, 101335, 2019.
- Masanobu Kii, Kenji Doi, Earthquake risk and inter-temporal fairness: an economic assessment of the national land-use structure, Transport Policy, 2018,
- Zhenyu Gao, Masanobu Kii, Atsuko Nonomura, Kazuki Nakamura: Urban expansion using remote-sensing data and a monocentric urban model, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 31 May 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2017.05.002
- Masanobu Kii, Varameth Vichiensan, Carlos Llorca, Ana Moreno, Rolf Moeckel, Yoshitsugu Hayashi: Impact of Decentralization and Rail Network Extension on Future Traffic in the Bangkok Metropolitan Region, Sustainability, 13, no. 23: 13196, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3390/su132313196
- Masanobu Kii, Nopadon Kronprasert, Boonsong Satayopas: Estimation of transport demand using satellite image: case study of Chiang Mai, Thailand, International Journal of GEOMATE, Vol. 18, Issue 69, pp. 111-117, 2020. https://doi.org/10.21660/2020.69.9304
- Masanobu Kii, Ryota Isikawa, Yusuke Kometani: Towards a carbon-neutral urban transportation system in Japan, IATSS Research (Accepted, 2023.1.11).
- Masanobu Kii: Projecting future populations of urban agglomerations around the world and through the 21st century, Urban Sustainability, 1, 10, 2021.
- Masanobu Kii: Reductions in CO2 Emissions from Passenger Cars under Demography and Technology Scenarios in Japan by 2050, Sustainability, Vol.12, issue17, pp.6919, 2020. https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/12/17/6919
- Masanobu Kii: Estimation of CO2 Emission from Passenger Cars and Its Factor Decomposition: Case Study for Tokyo Metropolitan Area and Kagawa Prefecture, Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transport Studies, Vol. 13, pp.1261-1272, 2019.
- Masanobu Kii, Keigo Akimoto, Kenji Doi, A Land-Use Transport Model to Assess the Impact of Urban Policies on Carbon Dioxide Reduction and Sustainability, Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transport Studies, Vol. 10, pp.1112-1128, 2013
- Carlos Llorca1, Catherine Silva, Nico Kuehnel, Ana Moreno, Qin Zhang, Masanobu Kii, Rolf Moeckel: Integration of land use and transport to reach Sustainable Development Goals: Will radical scenarios actually get us there?, World Symposium on Transport and Land Use Research,